Sunday, March 21, 2010

Disneyland - "The Happiest Place on Earth"

Oh Disneyland... :-)

We went to Disneyland on Monday with Nathanael's sister and her boyfriend who were visiting from Kentucky and with my parents. I never understood before how my mom would be happy just to have us kids happy. But now I understand. My happiest moments were when Layla finally fell asleep for a nap and when she met Mickey Mouse and smiled. Going on rides myself wasn't all that exciting, especially because I was always concerned about Layla. Sigh. Having a kid wrestles selfishness away (or at least highlights its presence).

Lessons from the day: Kids get CRANKY when they miss their naps! Oh my goodness, so ironic because over the loudspeakers they keep proclaiming "Disneyland, the happiest place on earth" but seriously everywhere we looked there were kids screaming and crying and throwing fits (including our own), especially as the day crept into the afternoon and naps were being forsaken for rides. It was truly amusing. Would have made a great little video. Not for promoting Disney though...

Layla refused to nap. Practically the whole day, which is crazy cuz she usually fits in about 4 - 5 hours worth of naps during a day. The more tired she got, the more overstimulated she got, the more she fought sleep. It was not fun.

And she was super ornery about her stroller. Would not have it. Only wanted to be held. Which brings me to lesson #2: be sure to practice things before you really need them. This applies to baby sitting in stroller, baby being held in Moby or other wrap (which we have done repeatedly so she's real good about it), using a bottle, using a pacifier, playing on her own, etc etc.

Enough! I will try to apply these lessons in the future but probably will forget by then. :-) In the meantime, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment