Monday, June 14, 2010

Be Ethical, get Educated


Lately I have been thinking a lot about ethical buying. It's easy to just look for the cheapest prices and forget that someone somewhere had to grow that, make that, sew that. And often the cheapest prices are cheap because that someone somewhere has subsidized the cost by receiving a poverty wage. And really, my choice to buy from a producer who is impoverishing working women in order to sell me clothing for dirt cheap prices--well this is really just modern slavery in a way. It allows me to grow wealthy but at the expense of a sister in a far off land. Am I okay with slavery? NO.

I want to do more research and learn about which companies are employing ethical standards in who they purchase from. I am not okay with buying an article of clothing that a teenage girl slaved away on. I want to put pressure on retailers, on brands, to say that I will pay more for things so that the workers in Bangladesh, Thailand, Indonesia, China will get paid more.

If you're with me, check out this website. And read this research article. Here in the USA, Walmart is definitely the biggest culprit. Check out this website for more on Walmart and for what YOU can do to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment