Thursday, February 11, 2010

Breastfeeding

I have much to say about breastfeeding, but for the moment I would just like to refer you to a book on the subject. See here to preview the book.

This book I found extremely fascinating, as I am an anthropology minor after all, and it explores the topic of breastfeeding through different biocultural perspectives historically and presently. There is also a section in it on the politics of breastfeeding--also very enlightening.

To sum up the main points I learned:
-breastfeeding is a complex, learned art
-breastfeeding is better for both the mom and child
-breastfed babies have higher IQs, fewer illnesses, and lower infant death rates
-weaning a baby too early can cause gastrointestinal problems (among other things)
-many people are misinformed about breastfeeding (by doctors, by society at large) and many have never seen a baby breastfed and so have no conception of it as an option

3 comments:

  1. lol, I forget that some people have never seen a baby breastfed. Those people are lucky; my sister desensitized me early by squirting me when I was 13 while SHE was breastfeeding her son.
    That book actually sounds really interesting (being a wannabe anthropologist). Would I be weird for reading it if I'm not pregnant? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that you wrote this!! I'm still nursing Macy twice a day and sometimes if she wakes up at night... it's more than just nutrition for sure!! Happy to hear that things are going well for you and Layla!! Do you have a hooter hider??

    ReplyDelete
  3. breastfeeding is the best!! SO glad that you and Layla are enjoying the process! Did you know it also helps to prevent adult diseases such as diabetes?! God's design is amazing!

    ReplyDelete