Saturday, February 6, 2010

Finding a Practitioner You Trust

So by now, we had already given some thought to the home birth vs. hospital birth question as well as the “who is going to deliver my baby?” question. Since our insurance didn’t cover home birth (and we couldn’t afford to pay it out of pocket), we opted for the hospital. [Unfortunately there is no birth center in our town, so these were our only two options.]

Initially we just got assigned an OB-GYN, and we met with him several times. Both my husband and I didn’t feel comfortable with him. I’m not sure what exactly it was…part of it had to do with the way he answered our questions (and the lack of respect he had for our desires/opinions) and also just the general vibe. We knew it was probably a problem when we were both wishing that he would not be on call when I went into labor. So we switched doctors!

I did some research and asked around, found the most natural friendly doctor in town and barely got in. And I am so glad we switched! Because later I heard some stories about the first OB we had, and I am glad he wasn’t delivering for my birth!

Do the research on the care practitioners (% of Cesareans, how accommodating are they to your wishes?) and make sure you get someone you are comfortable with.

No comments:

Post a Comment